Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Weigh In Wednesday: How to Substitute Carbs and a Tasty Recipe

Sup ladies,

Are you tired of having more Chins than a Chinese phone book? That's what I thought. Let's get to cutting out those carbs, then! Yesterday for Tip Tuesday, I posted a few alternatives to starches that will help you as you start your low carb lifestyles. I purposefully left one off so I could use it in this recipe for you all! Today I am going to teach you how to make mozzarella stuffed mini turkey meat loafs (meat loaves? That just looks weird).

Your traditional meatloaf/meatball recipes always call for breadcrumbs, which makes these types of food off limits if you are trying to lose weight. Don't get discouraged, mama. Go home and make your own! Instead of using breadcrumbs, I'm using some stale as shat 35 calorie wheat bread. Each slice has 8 carbs and I am using 2 slices. Each mini meatloaf has 4 carbs in it. That means you can each the whole pan for less than 30 carbs. Eat them all if you're hungry. I can assure you that no one cares how many muffin pans full of meat and cheese you ate while binge watching True Blood pantless. There is no shame over here. I don't even use a plate most of time. The joys of living alone. Let's get cooking!

Things you will need:
1 pkg ground turkey
Egg whites, just pour a little until it looks good to you
2 slices of 35 calorie wheat bread
Green onions, chopped, however much you want
Mrs. Dash or whatever seasoning you like
String cheese, use however much you want
Spaghetti sauce, preferably Ragu meat sauce because it has the lowest carb count

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (I literally made this recipe and I also made this temperature up, so use your discretion).  Take your bread and put it in a food processor to turn it into crumbs. Throw this in a bowl with turkey meat, green onions, your Mrs. Dash, and a little egg white to make it all stick together. It should look like this!

Now scoop your turkey into a muffin pan. You should be able to make about 6 mini meat loafs. For some reason, I was able to make 6 and a baby one. After you scoop your turkey into your pan, stick your thumb into the center of it to create a little cubby for your cheese.

I used string cheese because I am lazy, but you could put whatever kind you like. I just cut the string cheese into little chunks and stuffed it in there. After you do this, just pinch them together to cover the cheese up. If you have any leftover turkey meat, you can add a little to top off the cheese. Now put these in the over to bake. Don't ask me how long. I left them in there until they looked done. Maybe like 20 minutes? Long enough to NOT give anyone food born illness, although that would probably cause rapid weight loss as well.


After you are finished backing them, spoon a little spaghetti sauce on top of your mini meat loafs and pop them back in the over just long enough to warm the sauce up.

Instead of serving this with something like mashed potatoes or rolls, I have a low carb option for a side. If you are one of those people who doesn't eat anything that is green, you're in the wrong place, boo boo. 

You only need two things for this super easy side: fresh asparagus and your favorite seasoning. To prep the asparagus, all you need to do is cut off the tough ends. 
 
                         Like so.                                      This seasoning is awesome on veggies.


Next, put your asparagus in a saucepan with about a third cup of water. We are going to steam our asparagus. Go ahead and sprinkle your veggies with your seasoning, toss them around, and put a lid on the pan until your asparagus is tender.
    
And there is my most favorite before and after photo. Are you ready to see how my mini meat loafs turned out? Here you go! (Btw, the green beans are just literally out of a can)

Mmmmmm, cheesy.

And there you go! I hope you guys like this recipe using low carb ingredients. Look out for Tutorial Thursday! I will be doing a step by step post on how to create a dramatic smokey cat eye. Let me know how your meal turns out! Did you try a different flavor combination? I would love to hear from you. Follow me on Twitter @Butterybiscuit7 and on Instagram @Bridgetb2011. 

The girl who ate everything (including the muffin pan),
--B







No comments:

Post a Comment