Friday, June 6, 2014

Fit Friday: Dukan Dieting Tips and a Healthy Recipe

Hey guys,

     How was your work week? Terrible like everyone else's? Same here. By a show of hands, who wants to head home this evening, take off their pants, and eat an entire cheesecake off of their belly? You better believe that I do!
   
     But alas, methinks I shall save this activity for when I can take off my pants and eat an entire cheesecake off of my rock hard SIX PACK instead! Needless to say, it will probably be a while before I can fulfill this kinky fantasy. In the mean time, let's check out some Dukan Dieting approved foods and I will send you into your weekend with a kick ass recipe that you can enjoy during the cruise phase!
   
     As you may recall from my post on Weigh In Wednesday (click here to read my weight loss story), I mentioned that there are different phases to the Dukan Diet. The first phase is titled the "Attack Phase." Allegedly, this phase gets its name because it attacks the fat. I think a better description would be that you will want to attack the nearest girl scout within a 50mi radius and steal every box of cookies in her possession during the first two days.
   
     I'm sure you are thinking "But Bridget, how can I make it through the attack phase? You keep remarking on how difficult it is to follow. It just seems too strict and there is no way I can stick to it." Dude, don't get your panties in a wad! Sit back and I will tell you how I made it through, and hopefully encourage you to start/continue on your weight loss journey. First things first-- go step on your scale right now. No, not in a minute. Go do it RIGHT NOW.
   
     How did that make you feel? Did you step off of it and step back on it to see if maybe it was wrong and you are actually lighter than the scale is showing? Did you strip down butt ass naked to see if that tank top you were wearing possibly weighed 50lbs? Honey, I have been there. I have seen the numbers 178 pop up in front of me and think HOW?! How did I get like this? When did I get like this? Where did I put my last box of peanut butter patties? What do you mean 160 calories are in a serving of two?
   
      Take it from a girl that knows, today can be the first day of the rest of your life. Don't say "I will start dieting tomorrow." If you saw someone drowning, would you say "I'll save them tomorrow?" No. No, you wouldn't. Unless you are that guy in that Phil Collins song, in which case you have more problems than your weight, boo.
   
    Because I live alone, it was easy for me to follow the next step. Clean out your cabinets and your fridge. Is it junk food? Throw it out. Is it made by Little Debbie? THROW IT OUT!! Give it to relatives, donate it to charity, I don't care what you do with it as long as it is not in your house and it is not in your mouth. Remove temptation. Believe me, we all have our weak moments and those weak moments will turn into binge eating a 24 pack of Krispy Kreme donuts if you do not purge your household of them. Out of sight, out of mind. Now go to the grocery and get some Dukan approved foods. Click on this link to see a list of 100 Dukan approved foods.

Here is what I buy when I go to Kroger, or as I like to affectionately call it, Kroges, when I am on the attack phase:
-Ground chicken
-Eggs/egg whites
-Lean ground beef
-Steak
-Tyson Grilled and Ready Chicken Breast (in the frozen section)
-Sandwich meat (not honey ham, it has carbs)
-Fat free cottage cheese
-Fat free Greek yogurt
-Green onions
-Pickles

I forgot to mention that you can have UNLIMITED servings of protein on the attack phase. The best part about this diet is that if you are hungry, then you get to eat! No counting calories! Now if you google "Dukan Diet" you will probably see where eating something called an oat bran galette is required. Do not make these and eat them unless you like to dry heave. They are terrible! Ughhhhh just the thought of them makes me want to vom violently. It says online that the diet will not work without eating them, but my waist and I disagree. I think that part is a scam to get you to buy the Dukan brand oat bran since peeps like me are sharing how to do the diet fo' free. I just want to help a sister out! Keep your oat bran, Dukan! I'm about to spill all of your secrets.



     I had a very hard time posting this before and after pic, but then I thought of the girls who were just like me and needed proof that dieting does work. You can set goals that are attainable. The before photo is from 2011 when I was at my heaviest, which would be in the upper 170's. The photo on the right was taken in July 2013 while I was on vacation at the beach. I was weighing in at about 140lbs. As you can see, cutting carbs works, whether you do it the Dukan way, the Atkins way, or any other diet out there. In the photo on the right, my waist was 32 inches, which is about a size 14/16. My waist is currently 26 inches, which is about a size 4/6. Like I said, I had a really hard time deciding if I wanted to embarrass myself and post this photo, but then my best friends told me I looked banging now, and that, my friends, is what this blog is all about! Don't diet for anyone else, do it for you! Do it for the satisfaction that you will receive when you see the scale move.


Here is a little bit of a meal plan that I use for myself. You can personalize it to fit your palate. Keep in mind that you are allowed no condiments at all, and if you cheat, your booty will know and it will remain the same size. ***Disclaimer: I am not a dietitian, nor am I a doctor. I am a 24 yr old with a BS in Biology and a freezer full of protein. Proceed at your own risk. The risk of looking smoking hot in a month or so, that is.***

Breakfast
3 boiled eggs (throw out the yellow part or save them for some deviled eggs or something)
1 Tyson precooked chicken breast
.5 cup of FF cottage cheese or a container of FF greek yogurt
Lunch meat

     Now I know that sounds like a lot and probably sounds terrible, but it is very high in protein, low in fat, low in carbs, and will help hold you over until lunch time. You don't have to eat it all at once, either. You can graze on protein all morning if you wish. Boiled eggs are a really good snack. Also, remember that you can have unlimited amounts of protein, so eat as much as you want, as often as you want.

Lunch
2 Tyson chicken breasts
.5 cup of egg whites
3 green onions (Mo' onion, Mo' better in my book)
a few slices of ham

     If you are blessed enough to have a kitchen at your office like I do, cut up your chicken, ham, and onions, then throw it all in a pan and pour the egg whites over the meat for a bomb ass omelette! If I am feeling naughty, I will dollop a tablespoon of Tostidos Roasted Garlic Cantina Salsa on top of my omelette. I would recommend not doing this on the first few days of the attack phase. Even though salsa is only like 20 calories a serving, there are 5 carbs in 2 tablespoons of it. That is why I only do 1 tablespoon. I am willing to have 2.5 carbs enter my body if it means I won't be gagging while trying to keep my protein down.

Dinner
2 steaks (any cut except ribeye because it is too fatty)
5 pickles
Add some lunch meat if you're still hungry after.

     Also, just an FYI, you can have any kind of seasoning that you like! I usually put some steak seasoning on a New York Strip and throw it on the grill and then have some pickles on the side so that I don't feel like I have been eating the same thing all day. You can do the attack phase for as long as you want, but not over ten days, and drink a hella lot of water. Weigh yourself every single morning to track your progress. You will see the weight will fall off of you. The initial loss will give you a ton of motivation to continue. As I mentioned before, I lost 9lbs in the first week.

 If you're not losing weight on the attack phase, you cheated somewhere. You know it and I know it. Your body knows it. Dukan knows it. Ben and Jerry know it. We all know it. The goal of the attack phase is to throw your body into ketosis. If you cheat even once, you will not reach ketosis. If you don't know what I mean by ketosis, check out this link.

And as promised, a recipe to try when you are in the cruise phase!

Southwest Chopped Salad
1 bag of romaine lettuce (or whatever kind you like)
1 can of white corn (or yellow, or mixed, it's up to you)
1 can of black beans, well rinsed
Tommy toe tomatoes (I hate tomatoes but others that have tried this like them in it)
Green onions (as said before, I love a lot of green onions)

Optional: 
Grilled chicken breast

Take all of your ingredients and mix them up in a bowl. Make sure that you rinse your black beans well before adding them or your salad will be disgusting. Add as much or as little of whatever ingredient you like. This is your salad so do it however you want it! I like to chop up a chicken breast if I am having this salad for dinner or I am running a little low on protein for the day. I freaking hate fat free ranch dressing. I would rather cut my tongue out that ever have its disgusting presence upon my taste buds again.  Don't worry though, scroll on down for my own Dukan approved salsa ranch dressing recipe.

Homemade Fat Free Ranch Dressing 
8 oz fat free sour cream
1 pack ranch mix

Optional:
Approximately 2 tbsp of skim milk to thin it out, more if you like it runny, less if you like it thick.
2 tbsp Tostitos Roasted Garlic Salsa

You may have noticed that I use half of the amount of sour cream that the package of ranch mix calls for. This is because if you use all 16 oz of sour cream with it, you will get a very bland dressing. Trust me on this one. Only use 8oz of it and the entire pack of the ranch mix. If you like a thinner dressing, like what you get in a bottle from Kraft, just add a little skim milk to thin it out. Personally, I like the thicker consistency. If you want to turn this into salsa ranch, which I did in the photo below, omit the milk and add some salsa to it. This is super tasty and continues the southwestern theme of the dish.



Let me know what you guys think! Are you willing to try low carb dieting? Have you followed a low carb diet and received excellent results?  Follow me on twitter @butterybiscuit7 and instagram @bridgetb2011!

Thanks for reading guys and don't give up on dieting! You can do it!

Xoxo,
B







No comments:

Post a Comment