Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tutorial Thursday: Dramatic Smokey Cat Eye


Hey guys,
Today I am going to teach you how to do a smokey cat eye. I did this look on Shania, my fiance's sister, for her junior prom a few weeks ago (pictured above). I used my Urban Decay Naked 2 palette for her look. I know that this is a very pricey palette at $52, so I am going to insert photos of the colors I use so you can use whatever you have on hand. You can use these techniques with any color combination that you like. I am going to do this look on myself and take photos at each step so you can follow along and recreate this look at home. Let's get started!

Things you will need:
Eye primer of your choice, I am using the Mac Painterly Pain Pot
Neutral eye palette, I am using the Naked 2 palette
Scotch tape
Liquid eyeliner, I am using NYC
L'Oreal Carbon Black mascara
Flat stiff brush, I am using the Mac 239
Blending brush, I am using the Mac 217
Turquoise eyeliner, I am using Nyx


I am going to be using the shades Verve, YDK, and Blackout. Use whatever you have on hand. Verve is a frosty taupe color, YDK is a light bronzey color, and Blackout is just as it sounds... BLACK.

1.) Prime your lid all the way up to the brow. If you don't own primer, put a little bit of concealer on your eyelids or a cream eye shadow. The Mac paint pots are my favorite.



2.) Take a piece of scotch tape and stick it to the back of your hand a couple of times to take some of the stickiness off. Place the piece of tape on the outer corner of your eye. You want to angle the tape so that it is congruent with your bottom lash line. This will give us the cat eye effect that we want. See the photo to the left for an example.





3.) Take the black eye shadow and run it along the tape. If you do this step right, it will almost look like you have applied eyeliner (Picture to the left). Blend it out. Make sure that it is a little bit darker at the tape line so you get that nice blended effect (Picture to the right). Add a little extra black if you need to. You do you, girl.







4.) Next, take YDK and blend it into your crease. Go in with an eye shadow close to your skin tone and buff above the YDK so you don't have a harsh line where your eye shadow stops. Make sure to leave your eyelid and the inner corner mostly blank. (Picture to the right)



5.) Pat Verve all over the lid with your flat stiff brush and slightly pat it onto the black to blend. You can add a pigment over this color if you want something a little extra. Of course I want to gussy myself up, so I am using Make Up Geek's New Year's Eve over Verve. (Picture to the left)







6.) Run your liquid liner along the tape and stop about half in on your eyelid. Let the liner dry for a second and remove the tape (Pictured to the left). You should have a very clean line and an awesome winged liner.









7.) Next, take the turquoise eyeliner and run it along the waterline and smudge into your bottom eyelashes (Pictured to the right).  Finish with your favorite mascara and you are finished with your eyes.




Go work on that hair, girl! (Click HERE for a tutorial on this hairstyle). You need some big hair to go with that big makeup! While you're waiting on your curls to set, throw on your favorite blush and lipstick to complete the look. Here I am using Nars Super Orgasm blush on my cheeks and going for an ombre lip using Hard Candy's lip color in Courageous and a dab of Nyx's jumbo eye pencil in Milk in the center of my lip.




And there you go! An easy eye look that is perfect for a special occasion or a night on Chatroulette (no judging here). If you all have any questions, just let me know. Follow me on Twitter @butterybiscuit7 and on Instagram @bridgetb2011. Below is the finished result of our hair and makeup efforts! See you tomorrow for Fit Friday~
Always looking like Tammy Faye Bakker's long lost sister,
--B

No comments:

Post a Comment