Monday, July 21, 2014

True Blood Inspired Makeup Tutorial: Smokey Eyes, Winged Liner, and Bold Lips


With the final season of True Blood winding down to a close (excuse me while I sob violently), I figured I would take the time to put together a sexy vamp inspired tutorial for you all. If you know me in real life, you will know that I am obsessed with Pam from True Blood. Not only is she freaking gorgeous, she is stylish, hilarious, an uber biyotch, and most importantly, my soul mate. I even went as Pam for Halloween in 2012 with my best friend dressed as Sookie. I'll probably dress up as Pam again this year... And next year, too. Don't judge me. If you don't watch True Blood, I suggest you watch it for no reason other than to hear Pam's hilarious one liners, and of course, the sexy shirtless men, sans Bill Compton. No one finds Bill attractive. Eww. 




Running a successful brothel before she met her maker, Eric, Pam had plenty of time to perfect the art of seduction. With her smokey eyes, bold lips, and flawless white skin, Pam makes a statement with her signature look. Before I get started on my rendition of a sexy vamp look, let me leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the series. I should have it framed to hang in my office at work--

"I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I want to hear their problems. Maybe I smile too much. Maybe I wear too much pink. But please remember I can rip your throat out if I need to. And also know that I am not a hooker. That was a long, long time ago."--Pam to Lafayette, True Blood Season 3

Things you will need:
For this look, I use a mixture of high end and drugstore products, but use whatever you have on hand and you'll come out with something similar. This is not an exact recreation of any of the looks in the photos above, but rather my take on Pam's look throughout the series.

Eyes:
-Medium brown eye shadow--I used the top color from the Cupa Joe palette (L'Oreal)
-Dark gray eye shadow--I used Pistol (Urban Decay)
-Black eyeshadow-- I used Blackout (Urban Decay)
-Shimmery silver or gray shadow or pigment-- I used Diamond Dust (NYC)
-A shadow close to your skin tone-- I used Brulee (Wet 'N Wild)
-Black liquid liner
-Black pencil liner
-False lashes-- I used Revlon but I threw away the package without looking at the name, oopsie.
-Mascara-- I used Voluminous Carbon Black (L'Oreal)

Face:
Foundation-- Revlon ColorStay
Bronzer-- Physician's Formula Bronzing Beads
Highlight-- Physician's Formula Glow Pearls
Brows-- Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in Hazel
Concealer-- Rimmel True Match, Maybelline Fit Me, Maybelline Dream Lumi

Lips:
Maybelline ColorSensational Lipstick in Brazen Berry
Maybelline Lip Elixir in Purple Rhapsody


Prime those eyelids! We are about to put a crap ton of shadow on them and you want it to last. I used Palladio eye primer, but I wish I had either used my Mac Painterly paint pot or put concealer over my lids because the gray shadows made my veins more visible. Maybe I'm a Hep V infected vampire, whatevs.

1.) After you prime your lids, take a medium brown and work it into your crease. Use any crease brush. I used a cheap Sephora brand one I got on sale for like $3. It doesn't matter how sloppy this part looks because we are going to be covering it up. Just make sure to blend this color out very well. After you blend the medium brown into your crease, you can take a darker brown and work it into your crease as well. You don't have to do this step, but I did because I was trying to help cover up some of my ugly veins in my eyelids LMAO.

2.) Next step, take a flat stiff brush, I used my Mac 239 brush and pick up some of your gray color. If you do not have a good brush for packing on color, I suggest that you invest in one as I have yet to find one from the drugstore that is even comparable to the Mac 239. As I said before, any gray shadow will work. I used Pistol and it is a grayish blue shadow. I would say it is like a steel blue, if that makes any sense. Anyway, pack that color all over your lid. I mean pack it on there thick! I think I put like 2 coats on shadow on each eye. Trust me. You may look like a drag queen now, but you'll look like vixen when we are finished. When you're pack on color, make sure you are tapping it onto your eyelid. Do not sweep. Only sweep if you want to blend something. You'll be looking a hot mess if you sweep this shadow on.

3.) After you pack the gray shadow on, take whatever shimmer you have and pat that on over the gray shadow. I used the loose eye dust or whatever it is called. It is like a pigment in a lip gloss tube and consider yourself warned when I say that these bad boys are messy. There is a doe foot applicator that goes down into the tube of pigment, so when you pull it out of the tube, it flies everywhere. To make less of a mess, I suggest you open these over a kleenex or a towel, unless you want to have shimmer all over your thighs like me. I guess this is what Ke$ha feels like on a slow day.

4.) After I put on my shimmer, I wanted to darken up the outer corner of my eye. I took my black shadow and a pencil brush and applied some black shadow to my outer corner. In order to blend this out, I took my flat stiff brush and on one side, I put the gray shadow and on the other I put the black. I just kept alternating the sides of my brush to blend the two colors together where I wanted them to meet. Don't forget to take a blending brush and run it in your crease if you have a harsh line there where the black shadow ends. I lost a little bit of my shimmer when I did this step, so I just added more after I blended and packed it on over the gray again to get the effect I wanted.

5.) Once everything is blended together and you are happy with your overall look, add your eyeliner. I did a  simple winged liner, but you can do as much, or as little as you like. After you finish this step, then take some mascara and just lightly apply one coat if you're going to put on falsies. If you're not wearing falsies, then do those lashes up big, girl! When you're applying false lashes, the key is to use the glue that dries dark, and let the glue get tacky before you stick it to your lid. I usually let mine sit on my strip of lashes for a good 30 seconds, then I pop them on using some tweezers and they never give me any problems. If you can see the band on your falsies, take a little more liquid liner and cover it up.

6.) Now that we are almost finished with the eyes, let's put on some concealer to clean up any fall out we may have had from using those dark shadows. I'm using very light colors because I am severely Caucasian and because Pam is a freaking vampire, so looking pale is kind of her thing. After you get your concealer on, make sure to set it with some powder. I use the Palladio Rice Powder.

7.) Run your pencil liner into your water line to make your eyes look even more dramatic. Of course, this part is optional, but I took a pencil brush and ran a little more of that gray shadow beneath my lower lashes and added some mascara to them as well.

8.) The eyes are finished! Onto the face and lips. I'm not doing any blush today because Pam obviously doesn't have pink cheeks due to her lack of blood, but I am doing a little bronzer to contour because Pam's cheekbones are insanely sculpted. I took a stippling brush and lightly stippled my bronzer beneath my cheekbones, then I stippled a little highlighter on the tops of my cheeks to give myself that ethereal glow the vamps on True Blood seem to have.

9.) Pam is almost always rocking some bold lips. I started out with the Brazen Berry lipstick, but it just wasn't bold enough for me. I really wanted a lip that was dramatic, so I blotted most of the Brazen Berry off and added the lip elixir over it to get this look.





 

And there you have it! A True Blood inspired makeup look. If this is too bold for you, you could always trade our the purple lips for a nude and leave the false lashes at home. Are you going to attempt this look? I would love to see! Tag me on Twitter @Butterybiscuit7, on Instagram @Bridgetb2011, and don't forget to like my Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/BeautyOnABudgetBlog to see the latest posts here on my blog. Thank you all for stopping by.

Blah, blah, vampire emergency, blah,
--Bridget


No comments:

Post a Comment