Sunday, August 10, 2014

Breakfast on the Go: Nutella and Strawberry Sandwich Recipe

Not my photo-- Grabbed this one from Google. Judge me. 
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a chocolate lover. I have tried to get on the Nutella wagon for years and I just cannot see what all the hype is about. Back in the winter, my fiance and I went to this little crepe shop in Ashville, NC and I had a strawberry and Nutella crepe. It was freaking delicious. I forgot about it and how much I liked it until I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago and got a croissant with strawberries and Nutella. My love for strawberries and Nutella was rekindled, so I decided to make a healthier version of it and blog about it. (Sorry I don't have a picture. I ate my sammich about 5 seconds after I made it).

You can eat this sandwich for breakfast, or you can do a variation on it and use a low carb tortilla instead of the sandwich thins I used. You could also do this as a topping on ice cream if you are feeling particularly naughty.

Strawberry and Nutella Breakfast Sandwich
-Sandwich thin (90 calories)
-1 tbsp Nutella (100 calories)
-Strawberries (I used 3 large ones, but use how much you like)

Toast your sandwich thin, or if you are using a tortilla, make sure to get it good and hot. You can do this in a skillet, toaster, or even on a George Foreman grill. Whatever is easiest for you, but I don't think I would like this sandwich half as much if it was not warm.

 Once you've warmed up your bread product, smear 1/2 tbsp of Nutella on each piece (or across your tortilla). Layer your strawberries evenly across your sandwich and BAM! Breakfast is done, and for a lot less calories than a McMuffin you would get at McDonald's. This would be good for kids to have in the morning before school, too. I'll probably be eating mine in the car on the way to work in the morning since it transports so well. You could also try it with other fruits I don't like bananas but you could try those in place of, or even with the strawberries. Let me know what variations you all try and if you love this flavor combination half as much as I do!


Want more healthy recipes? Click the links below:
Sweet Summer Salad
Low Carb Mini Meat Loafs
Low Carb Faux Pizza
Lemon Yogurt Trifle
Southwest Salad with Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment