Monday, October 27, 2014

Tips From a Former Fat Girl: Tips for Jump Starting Your Weight Loss


Hey guys,
It's been a while since I posted something weight loss related... Okay, maybe it hasn't been that long but it sure feels like it. You may remember when I did a post a few weeks ago in which I gave my Top 3 Tips to know before starting a diet. To follow up on that post, I'm going to give you a few tips to get your diet off on the right foot. It's fall time and although we might be bundling up to stay warm, there's no reason there can't be a hot body under all of those scarves and leg warmers!

1.) Don't Skip Breakfast
I never understood how I was fat. I only ate twice a day, I'm not big on sweets, and I didn't buy junk food. Where could I be going wrong? Where is this fat coming from? How did I end up wearing jeans with elastic around the band? The more I researched my attack plan for my big phat ass, the more and more I kept reading about how breakfast was essential. Yeah yeah, I remember my teacher in 6th grade telling me to eat before school so my thinking cap would be in TURNT UP mode, but I never thought much more about it. I never ate breakfast. I don't even like breakfast food. Could my disdain for all things pancake flavored actually be my downfall? Apparently yes. Now I'm not saying to head out to Cracker Barrel, or The Crack House as I affectionately call it, for Uncle Herschel's breakfast extravaganza 6 times a week, but perhaps a couple of boiled eggs would do your body good. If you're like me and you're a breakfast skipper and you want to embark on a healthier lifestyle, I would start here. You don't have to do anything amazing, but like I said, a couple of boiled eggs, maybe a chicken breast, or even an omelette if you're feeling like you're the next contestant on Master Chef. You will be surprised by how much less you eat at lunch and by how much better you feel throughout the day.

2.) Am I Even Hungry?
Is it food you're hungry for, or do you just need something to do while you binge watch seven seasons of Supernatural on Netflix? Learn the difference. Are you feeling a legit hunger pain? If you aren't sure, then maybe you should drink some fluids and see if it goes away. Sometimes drinking something will help ease off that empty feeling. More times than not, I used to feel what I thought was the pain of hunger, but it just turned out I was really bored. My bad. When this happens, go get a hobby. Read a book. Work on your weight loss blog (oh wait, that's just for me). Do anything that will distract you and keep you from getting bored, which will keep you from being the sole source of income to the Ben and Jerry's ice cream empire.

3.) Catch a Few Zzzz's
Or you can be like me. My hobby is napping! What? Are you judging me? I work hard through the week and this chick has to get her beauty rest. My Snapple cap I got the other day told me that you burn more calories sleeping than you do when watching TV (citation needed). Even if it's not true, stay well rested will keep you from getting grumpy, meaning you will be more motivated to stick to your healthy lifestyle and less likely to drive to the nearest Chipotle for a burrito the size of a small infant.

4.) But I'm Craving Something Terrible
It happens. You're craving something that you just cannot get out of your mind. Rather than try to fill the void with things you don't want, have a small portion of what your heart desires. This is also accurate advice for your love life. Wait, what? You're better off to have a small serving of frozen yogurt than to eat half of a head of lettuce, a block of Velveeta, then drive to the Dairy Queen and cry into an entire ice cream cake. Save yourself the calories and the regret and learn portion control, especially when it comes to something that isn't necessarily diet friendly.

5.) Show the World What You're Made Of!
Everyone always wants to know what you did to lose weight once you hit your goal and start looking hella fine, but no one is really there for you during the journey. There is nothing worse than people telling you that you can't do it, or making fun of your food when you are trying to better yourself. I have dealt with this many times and it is quite annoying. It always goes something like this-- Yes, I am going to eat this avocado. Yes, I realize this avocado is green. Yes, I realize up in the hollar they don't know what an avocado is, so how about you get out me face and let me eat in peace? *Rolls eyes.

Don't worry about the people who try to get under your skin. You're already better than them because you're taking a step in the right direction and you aren't hurting anyone's feelings while doing it. In the words of my homeboy Jay-Z, go on brush your shoulders off. Someone is always going to have something rude to say, but that's okay. They're the ones with the problem, not you. Eat your diet food, do your squats, put on some lipstick, and be happy with yourself and with each mini-goal you hit. Each day you work your butt off is one day closer to being who you want to be.

Twerk it out,
--B

No comments:

Post a Comment