Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Worth the Hype: Lush Bath Bombs




I went to Louisville on Monday for a concert and I ended up having a little free time before the Yum Center opened the doors. I decided I may as well make the most of my time and pop into Lush. I have heard a lot about their bath bombs from one of my friends, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I'm not your typical girl when it comes to scents. I like hot, spicy, sensual scents (if that even makes sense). If something smells like fruit, especially strawberry, I cannot contain my need to projectile vomit.

If you have never been to Lush before, all of their products are handmade (allegedly) and all smell really fruity. I told the annoying hipster girl that was working in there to stop shoving terrible scents under my nose and give me something that did not smell like a cocktail of faux fruit and body odor. She finally showed me one that was purple (EEK) and gold. She was obviously stoned from smelling the scent of the shop too long as she said to me "Try this one. It smells spacey." Okay, lady. If you know what space smells like, my theory that you are from another planet is right. I grabbed my bomb and ran to the checkout counter. Lush is rather expensive. It was $6.95 for one bomb before tax. I realize you could break it in half and get two baths out of it, but whats the fun in that? The scent I purchased is called "Phoenix Rising." On Lush's website, this hilarious description is paired with the scent:

  "This Bath Bomb is a tribute to our belief that great things can rise out of the ashes,
    just like the mythical Phoenix. Royal purple and gold-dusted, with a cinnamon stick
    in the center, this gorgeous bomb sinks to the bottom of the tub when you toss it in,
    and slowly rises up, fizzing out a spicy apple and cinnamon scent."

*Rolls eyes. Spare me. How many Phoenix related cliches can they come up with?  At nearly $7 a pop, this thing better turn into a Phoenix AND said phoenix better proceed to wash my back while I'm in the tub.



I decided I was going to have a relaxing night last night and use my expensive avian themed bath bomb. When I tossed it into my tub, I was so excited. It started fizzing up and smelled like apple cider. I have an old school free standing tub, so taking a bath is pretty much like going for a swim.

I hopped in the tub and I don't really know what I was expecting to happen. Maybe I thought I would turn into a phoenix instead. Maybe I thought my bath bomb would teleport me to Phoenix, Arizona. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I THOUGHT! I soaked in it for a little while and was thinking to myself "Maybe the scent is just supposed to relax you. Maybe this would set a romantic mood if I was in a jacuzzi." Well, needless to say, my bath water went cold after a while and I watched my hard earned 7 bucks go swirling down the drain. I couldn't really tell that it had done anything for me. My skin didn't feel moisturized. I did smell nice, but that was about it.

Would I buy another Lush bath bomb? Maybe if they were on sale. $7 is a lot to spend on a bath, if you ask me. If you are planning a romantic weekend away with your partner and would have access to a jacuzzi, then maybe a Lush bath bomb would be a nice treat to set the mood. You could pair it up with some candles and enjoy the colored water, I guess.

With or without a bath bomb, my romantic night would end with my usual routine of sharing a chilled bottle of wine whilst the poetic lyrics of Sir Mix-A-Lot play softly in the background, but I'm a simple girl with simple needs.

Check out LUSH's website at http://www.lushusa.com/Phoenix-Rising/03575,en_US,pd.html to check out their line of products.


My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun,
--B

No comments:

Post a Comment