Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Current Obsession: Homemade Salad Dressing



Guess who's back, back again...
Long time no post! Today is the day that I change your life completely. Okay perhaps that is a bit dramatic, but I am about to change the way you eat salads forever. I have been experimenting with homemade salad dressings for a while now. Some have proven to be delicious, while others would make a great drain cleaner.

Since I started making my own dressings, I cannot stand to eat anything out of a bottle. Every dressing, even ranch, tastes terrible. It's almost like I can taste the preservatives in it. Yuck! Thus far, this recipe is the best one I have came up with. It's equal parts tasty and easy, as well as a healthier alternative to bottled dressings. As always, this recipe is low carb. C'mon, would you expect any less from me?

Homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette 
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
Feta cheese
Salt-n-peppa to taste

I prefer this dressing on a salad made of baby spinach, but it tastes good on iceburg or romaine as well. I add the first three ingredients to a bowl and whisk them together, then I throw in a few crumbles of the feta cheese. The acid in the vinegar breaks down the cheese and adds a bit of creaminess to the salad. I usually will  add in red onions, green olives, and banana peppers with my spinach when I make this.. Of course, you could add more or less of the vinegar depending on your palate. Personally, I love dressings that have a bite to them, so if I'm feeling froggy in the kitchen, I may even do equal parts of oil and vinegar.

Let me know some of your favorite homemade salad dressing recipes. I would love to try out some new flavor combinations.

Xoxo,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment