Sunday, April 26, 2015

Weight Loss Confidential: Tips for Discreet Dieting


Sup Ladies,

I haven't done a weight loss post in ages and this one is quite different from any other weight loss post I have written. Have you ever been in the situation in which you want to drop a few pounds, but you don't really want everyone to know about it? Sometimes if you mention to someone that you are cutting back on calories/carbs, then you may receive negative remarks from people who just want to be hateful a-holes. This is annoying not only for people who are larger, but also for the thinner population as well. "But you're skinny enough", "You look like you need to go eat a cheeseburger as it is" or the ever popular remark of "You're just going to lose water weight anyway" is not anything that I want to hear. How about you tell a sister good luck?! When I first started dieting, I didn't want anyone to know because I was afraid I would fail and then they would be sarcastic and ask me how my diet was going as I waddled to the kitchen for more cheesecake. That's when I came up with the idea of "discreet dieting." No one has to know that you are cutting back and then one day every notices that you are looking rather lean and wants to know what you did to get looking so bomb ass. That's when you tell them that you just lost a little "water weight" and moonwalk out of the room. 

1.) Never skip breakfast
Back when I was chunky and didn't really know how to effectively lose weight, I would skip meals all the time, then wonder why I had gained 5lbs even though I was staying hungry. You have to eat in order to lose weight. Now this doesn't mean that you need to go down to the local Waffle House and order a stack of butter pecan waffles. If you eat something high in protein early in the morning, you are not only going to give your metabolism the message of "Wake up biyotch and get to burning some calories," but you're also going to stay fuller and this may keep you from binge eating at lunch. I recommend eating something along the lines of a couple of hard boiled eggs, a grilled chicken breast, or a greek yogurt (check the carbs on these. They can hide a lot of sugar within them if you're not careful). If you're super busy, or you get out of bed about thirty minutes before work like I do, then you can always eat a protein bar on the way to work or even have a protein shake. Something is better than nothing... Unless that something is from Dunkin Donuts. 

2.) Pack your lunch
If you typically go out for lunch with friends and you go from ordering a Big Mac and Fries to ordering a side salad with no dressing, then not only is everyone going to notice and call you out on your actions, but you're also going to be extremely unsatisfied and more likely to cheat for dinner. What is easiest in this situation is to just go ahead and pack something at home and take it with you to work or school. If someone asks why you packed your lunch, just tell them you're trying to save money. Every time I have ever said that to anyone then they are like "Man, I need to be doing that too" and never question me again. But what should you pack for lunch? Well there are a few options here. Of course, you want something that is not only high in protein, but that is going to satisfy you until you get home for dinner. Some of my go-to meals for when I pack my lunch include homemade low-carb turkey meatballs (click the recipe tab at the top of the page to see how to make these), grilled chicken with sriracha (because I live for spicy food), a bag of cocktail shrimp, or a small salad with a ton of smoked ham and turkey. Anything that is not battered, glazed, fried, rolled, or breaded will be appropriate for lunch.

3.) Start an at home fitness routine
When I was about 50lbs heavier, I would always say "I want to work out but I don't want to go to a gym and look like the fat girl." I was pretty down on myself at the time and I was not confident enough to go let my fat jiggle where other people might see it. I was also scared I would see someone I know and then see them out somewhere else and then have them say "Oh, I saw you once at the gym. You should come back more often!" When you are not happy with yourself and feel fat, it is very, VERY hard to be confident enough to let anyone know that you are trying to get to a point in which you are happy with yourself. Whether it be the fear of failure, or the fear that someone is going to see that your ass sweat has soaked your yoga pants right down the seam, it is hard to deal with. Before I started going to Zumba classes, I started doing some easy workouts to help build my stamina. I did not want to be the fat girl in the back row panting for air and diet coke. I just went to Youtube and looked up some simple workouts that were slow paced enough for me to keep up. I did this for a few weeks before I gained the courage to finally go workout where other women were. One I finally went to Zumba, I was surprised to find that I was not the largest girl in the class. I was far from the smallest girl there, but most of the attendees were just about my size. This was very comforting to me and I was able to go through the entire one hour class without having to stop and take a break. I honestly believe if I hadn't already tried doing some of the workouts at home and built my stamina up, that I would not have been able to complete the class and I would have been too embarrassed to ever return. There is nothing wrong with starting to do a few workouts at home in private. I highly recommend this if you are thinking about joining any kind of fitness class and feel the way I felt before going to my first session. 

I hope these tips have helped anyone out who is hoping to drop a few pounds, but wants to do so in private and inconspicuously. Just remember that no one can make you feel bad about trying to get healthy and about trying to get to a point in your life in which you are happy with not only how you look, but how you feel. Don't let anyone judge you on your efforts or make you feel like you aren't doing the right thing. I had so many people telling me that I was doing a fad diet when I was low-carbing and that I wouldn't lose any real weight. A couple months later I walked in 20lbs lighter and everyone wanted to know how I was doing it because to them, it didn't look like I was doing much. Having a strong support system also helps. If you don't have anyone you feel comfortable enough to lean on with your weight loss journey, lean on me! I'm always so happy to hear from my readers and to give them the encouraging and supportive words they need to keep going forward. Follow me on Twitter @butterybiscuit7, on Instagram @Bridgetb2011, or send me an email at bridget.buttery@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you! 

Xoxo,

Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment