Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Bride on a Budget: Searching for the Perfect Wedding Day Perfume


Hey guys,
I'm sorry it has been a few weeks since I last posted. It's prom season, wedding season, and most importantly, GAME OF THRONES SEASON 5 IS AIRING!! Needless to say, I have been busy doing makeup, planning my own wedding, preparing for the wedding of others, and hoping that no weddings I attend are hosted by Walder Frey (The Lannisters send their regards).

Exciting news! My own wedding is only a little over four months away and I have finally started planning, which means I can finally start my new series that I have aptly titled "Bride on a Budget." I am doing a lot of DIY projects and I plan I sharing how to make some of the things that I will have at my wedding, as well as posting budget friendly tips for others who are on a tight wedding budget and may find my tips useful.

May has been the month of perfume for me. I am on a search for a perfect wedding day/honeymoon perfume. I find that scents are great to tie to memories. One whiff of a certain scent, and it's like you have hopped into a time machine and went back to a certain time in your life. Kind of like when you walk by Abercrombie in the mall and once their signature smell hits your olfactory gland, you instantly remember popping your collar in 2006 and thinking you looked damn good doing it.

On a less embarrassing note, I can smell Pumpkin Pecan Waffles scented candles from Bath and Body and it instantly takes me back to when my fiance proposed to me and the exciting time in our lives that followed that fall. I want to find a scent that I can fall in love with and start wearing so that it will take me back to this time in our lives. Even though wedding planning is hella stressful, I still want to have something to bring me back to this time in my life. I'm not saying that Elizabeth and James Nirvana White will be my wedding day perfume because I'll probably try a hundred different perfumes, but right now it is the front runner.




Elizabeth and James Nirvana White Perfume 
For those of you who don't know, Elizabeth and James is owned by the Olsen Twins. I loved their stuff they used to carry at Walmart as a kid and apparently my tastes have not matured much over the years as I am still throwing my dollar bills at the Olsen's. I received  a roller ball of this fragrance and of the sister perfume to this, Nirvana Black, when I cashed in my VIB points at Sephora. I prefer the Nirvana White to the Nirvana Black because it is a lighter, more feminine scent. The notes listed on the Nirvana White are Peony, Muguet, Tender Musk with the style listed as "Sophisticated. Feminine. Captivating." I am not one to go for a floral scent, but I don't find that this fragrance is overly floral. If you have 100 points in your VIB bank, I suggest you cash them in for this rollerball while they last! I didn't pay anything out of pocket for mine because I used my points, but a full sized rollerball retails for $22, a 1oz bottle retails for $55, and a 1.7oz bottle retails for $75. I personally never buy the biggest bottle of perfume because by the time I get half way through it, I'm bored and want to try something else, hence wasting my hard earned cash. I don't think that 50 bucks is too much to spend on a luxury fragrance, especially for such a special occasion if I end up choosing it for my wedding day scent.

While I'm at it, I'll tell you exactly why I prefer the Nirvana White when compared with its sister fragrance. Nirvana Black has that same strong masculine and almost sickly undertone that you find in Tom Ford's Black Orchid. I actually thought I would enjoy the Nirvana Black more than the White because the notes listed are Violet, Sandalwood, and Vanilla, while the style is listed as "Sensual, Mysterious, and Warm." I love any kind of warm, almost spicy fragrance, so I was really surprised that this scent was not my thing. In the end, it was just too manly for me to wear. I might give it to my fiance and see how he likes it instead!

Less than spectacular mentions on the fragrance front for this month: Loveswept by Philosophy (very light and summery scent, but lacks the staying power I want), Tainted Love by TokyoMilk Dark (warm vanilla scent, but a little too heavy for summer time), and Fresh's Sugar Lychee (fruity fragrance but it is so light that the scent dissipates almost immediately after applying). I'll keep you all posted as I continue the search for the perfect wedding day perfume. What's your favorite perfume? Do you have any recommendations I should try? Let a girl know! Tweet me, Facebook me, or email me. All of my contact info is on the side bar. Talk to you soon!

Xoxo,
--B

No comments:

Post a Comment